Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Old Stuff Wednesday - September: The old Ultra-boring-Marine

In smurf blue....

Circa May, 2004.  Not my first painted stuff but close to it.  This is actually one of the first pieces that I painted for a paint competition.  I really did not know back then what to do in painting.  For an early piece it holds up pretty well in my opinion as I copied I think some painting by Bobby Wong (whatever happened to him????)
Sheesh what an ugly base, looks like Goblin Green.
Above some of the details.  The sword was just the beginning of me painting power swords like that.

And below the backside of the model.  I believe I had used some Higgins blue drafting ink for the recessed blue areas in the armor.
I sold this model years ago to someone.  I apologize to that the person that bought it.  LOL.

6 comments:

  1. Did you do a weapon swap on that. The one I got from GWpertinent has a thinner blade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, completely forgot about that. I believe that this mini came originally with a sort of power sword gladius. This blade was one of the OOP plastics if I remember correctly.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that looks like one of the power sword blades (but not the full hilt) from the original close combat weapon sprue (c.1994 if my memory is right).

      Delete
  2. I just dug this model out to finally paint. I thought the new plastic SM captain (with the grave pistol and $30 price tag) was VERY nostalgically sculpted after this guy. I want to paint this model for kicks really and to see if I can paint Ultramarines in the 21st century/post "red" era....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely does resemble the new captain model. $30 price tag is crazy though.

      Delete
  3. Looks great, PC. They new owner must love it.

    ReplyDelete