Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Old Stuff Wednesday - April: Blood Angel OSL

Circa April 2004.  I believe this is the only Blood Angel Space Marine that I have ever painted.  I fondly remember doing this as an experiment around the time when light sourcing was just really taking off on miniatures, and seemed to be the cool thing to do.  Well I think its still a cool thing to do. 
I borrowed the so-called NMM techniques that I used on my beastmen in 2003 and the red scheme.  I also used a bit more subtle highlight scheme from Cerulean Templar Spacemarine army.
 Back then I really struggled with bone colors in painting.
The pick below I think is really cool.  The green glow effect that I did back then was a series of drybrushes from dark to light green.
Another angle.  If I remember right, I did go back and paint in some sharper green highlights.
Red and green always work well in my opinion.  This was a cool experiment.  The miniature is no longer in my collection as I sold it years ago.

6 comments:

  1. Please dude, how do you take that red? Really nice work! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excuse me sir, i meant "get". I'm so sorry.

      Delete
    2. Ah.... With my reds to get that depth, I always start with a black prime and build gradually with reddish browns, such as scorched brown or whatever GW now calls the color or a deep brick red like Vallejo Hull Red. I then like to work to a pure red such as Vallejo Model Color Red. From their for blood angels do a 50/50 red with Blood Red and then pure Blood Red which has a more orange haze to it.

      Delete
  2. I know, it's interesting the use of reddish browns. Thank you so much for the explanation, i will try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reds take a lot of blending and slow transitions, but you do that you will achieve a depth. Sometimes just a few extra steps are really what is needed and the payoff in look is very good.

      Delete