Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Hobbit....I went there and back again

I went to the movie yesterday....I've been purposely avoiding anything written about it.  It was somewhat, what I thought it would be early in the movie, with the exception of the dwarf musical that broke out early in the film.  That part I could seriously do without.  I read the book over 25 years ago, and I'm not a fan of Tolkien, so I remember very little of the book. 

I can't say I remember the 3 Stooges being the book, but they did make an appearance in the form of Trolls.  Now I'm a huge 3 Stooges fan, but I did not care for this.  I guess I really don't think of  the book as Children's story as I would something form CS Lewis, but the movie definitely seems to be directed at a very young audience, even though the majority of the people that were at the theatre watching were my age or older, and very few were teens.  There was quite a bit more humor in the movie, than say in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  I also did not remember the talking standup comic known as the Goblin King.  And for awhile I thought I was watching that Raider of the Lost Ark movie scene where their in the mines.

The Gollum and Bilbo interaction was good, I did remember the riddles and such.  The warg chase scenes were fun, and the eagles were interesting.  The Elves were just as I remember them pompous jerks.  They did a pretty good job of hiding the dragon in the scenes. 

One thing I did not like was the sound in the Theatre, even for someone like myself that has a bit of a problem with a ringing ear and some minor hearing loss in that same ear, I found it way too loud, the normal sound should not make a person cringe.  I noticed this in the last movie, Prometheus, that I went too also, and a older friend of mine mentioned the same thing when he went to Lincoln.  I may have to take ear plugs next time.

The other thing I noticed, the commercials for the TV shows, I don't remember ever seeing that damn many TV show promos for NBC, Fox, and FX.  I must say that most of those promos however bad that they were, were actually better than the Movie Trailers that were playing.  I just wanted to blurt out "Stupid" after having to sit through all of them.  I guess my tastes in movies is not that popular....

All in all, I thought the movie was.....okay.  Not great, but not bad either.  Its not an instant favorite or classic in my book, but my tastes in movies are very particular and I go to maybe one or two movies a year and view about 90% of what comes out of Hollywood as trash and not worth my time.

Edit:  One of the things I forgot to mention, was something that I have noticed with all the recent movies (which isn't many, I can count them all on one hand since 2010) that I have gone to since the 3D craze has hit the Theatres, it the amount of crap that appears to be coming at you.  Much of which is forced and bad camera angles, I really dislike that.  I noticed this movie had its fair share of that going on.  I purposely went to the 2D version since I already wear glasses and ride amusment park rides regularly in a high powered racing go-kart to get my fair share of entertaining ride-alongs.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Not seen it yet, but will get round to it eventually, meanwhile, Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about great, I'm certainly not Siskel or Ebert, but its an okay movie and I enjoyed it. It is quite long. I think it was said to be 166 minutes, pace yourself if you are drinking a soft drink.

    ReplyDelete