Friday, September 10, 2010

Chaos Spawning Season...Part 2: Blue Spawn

This time its Blue Spawn. I really like the look of the model, but in hindsight I wish I would have changed how the troll body leans so far forward. I also attempted to subdue my normal approach to painting blue, making it pop less and also more flat in appearance.
Use of the ogre head and giving it tusks I think worked out quite well. I also think the color selection helped with a nice contrast.

In hindsight though, I kind of wish I would have done the tusks and such in the orange colors that I used on Brown Spawn. I am going to have to remember in my future spawn making to do conversion of the lacerated skin like what this former chaos troll model has. I think that is a cool effect.

All in all, I'm happy with the two spawn and look forward to doing more of them in the future.

While thinking of spawn, it leads me back to the one I built for my beastmen army, back a few years ago. It appeared in the U.S. White Dwarf #323 and was on GW US's website for awhile. Its still one of my favorite models. So in the next post I'll go back in time, dust him off and post some pics of him.

Moving forward in the next few posts...I've placed the marauders and warriors of chaos army on hold for a bit. I've fallen way behind in getting ready for the tournament season this fall and none of my armies are very playable in 8th edition. So with that in mind, I'm going to attempt to get the Khorne Demon Army serviceable, it is the closest to being playable in large point games. To do that I'll be bolstering its roster with some old school metal bloodletters, and with some new style bloodletters to act as Khorne heralds on foot all armored up, as well as some banners. And I'll also be returning to fantasy orcs, and have some more random 40k models in the works.

And for you newer readers of my blog, I finally got around to figuring out how to go back and do labels, so it should be easier for people to find things.

1 comment:

  1. Seems there must be something in the water... The first two blogs I go to this morning have Spawn as the first thing I see. This being after I spend a weekend painting one! There must be something wrong! This guy looks cool I love the use of the giant head!

    ReplyDelete