Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A basketball Rant....Madness is coming

I'm not going to descend into a March Madness discussion with that right around the corner, because I do like the NCAA's flawed tourney, at least its a heck of lot better than the BCS football system, nope I want to rant about Knickerbocker Jeremy Lin. 

It's always interesting seeing a kid like this point guard storm on the scene, he was not highly recruited out of highschool, he played for that basketball powerhouse (NOT) Harvard, wasn't drafted for the NBA, and rode the pine the first year or two.  And now he is the all-time highest scorer in his first 5 starts in the NBA, the list of names on that list that he beat out is legendary.  His perseverance is the most admirable thing of his story.  And I do admire that about him.   BUT on the flip side is the ugliness.  I and both of sisters had played organized basketball for years growing up.  I and my one sister were talented at playing, she literally played like most guys more talented playing than me.  The thing that we always had to deal with was misuse of that talent.  The coaches of young kids are for the most part system coaches, they only know one way of coaching.  When you coach youth basketball, junior-high basketball, highschool basketball, you simply cannot be a system coach in my opinion.  It is one of my pet peeves.  You need to be flexible and you need to be able to coach to the strengths of the athletes that you have.  Sometimes that may be your preferred system and sometimes its not.  You are doing a great disservice to the kid if you are attempting to put a square peg in a round hole.  You stifle their development as an athlete.  Let's face the NBA is one of those leagues where as a coach, you better taylor your coaching style to the players you have, or you will be out of a job, and not always do you have General Manager getting the right talent for your system.  Now if you are recruiting kids like say what college does then you can go out get people that fit your type of system, Wisconsin's Bo Ryan is good at that. 

So, how does that all relate to Jeremy Lin, it appears that someone finally figured how to use him properly.  Will it continue, I sure hope so, because its an awesome thing to see.

The other ugly thing I see is some of the racist like comments being made, ie. like by Floyd Mayweather, a black boxer, "Jeremy Lin is a good player, but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise."  Really, incredible play is just that Floyd, incredible, this kid in his first five starts in the NBA has scored more points than anyone, black, white, purple, orange, red, green.  But you want to bring up race.  Well, if you are that good, I don't give a damn what color you are, because I'm color blind when comes to watching good players.  Here's hoping Manny kicks your butt.

1 comment:

  1. Did Mayweather see Marbury lead the knicks in such a positive and inspiring way like Lin has? Marbury, for all his skill, never worked in NY, or to be fair anywhere. He was a good player but never really made a team a winner. Lin is currently 5-0. On the Knicks. Wow.

    I think its an amazing story and even though they killed my Raps last night with a buzzer beater, I couldnt have asked for a better player to have took that last shot.

    ReplyDelete